Friday, August 17, 2018

Matt Block - Class of 1992


WELCOME TO BENZIE COUNTY CENTRAL SCHOOLS FEATURTED FRIDAY ALUMNI.  Today, we would like to recognize Matt Block, class of 1992.  Matt was kind enough to share the following with us.

“While in high school, I was an active member of FFA, and played football. Through both of these organizations, I learned how leadership, communication, and hard work are the foundation to build any career or activity. After graduating from Benzie Central High School in 1992, I attended classes at Northwestern Michigan College and later transferred to Michigan State University, earning my BS in Civil Engineering in 2000. I am currently an engineer for the Michigan Department of Transportation (MDOT), where I have been since 1997.   I began in the coop program while still a college student.  In 2004, I earned my Professional Engineer’s license. This has been a rewarding career from the standpoint of being able to work one on one with various villages, cities, counties, and individuals throughout the lakeshore counties between Holland and Manistee. 

In 2000 my wife, Melanie and I were married, and our jobs led us to buy a house just outside of Ravenna, which is a small town between Grand Rapids and Muskegon, and reminds me very much of the area in which I grew up.  Melanie is an Ag Teacher, as was my dad, Jerry Block, at Benzie Central. We have two sons, Peyton (13) and Trevor (15), that attend Ravenna Schools, where they are both active in sports and other community events. 

Just as when my wife and I were young, our kids are very involved in 4H, and we are both very active leaders/volunteers for Muskegon County 4H.  We believe in serving the community, and feel that passing these skills on to local youth is very important.  

In addition to 4H, most summer weekends you can find us cheering while our kids race motocross throughout most of Michigan. Although some regard this a dangerous sport, there is a lot to learn about focus, perseverance, and learning/refining a new skill. 

Although I do not make it back up to Benzie as often as I would like, my memories of being a Husky live on! “

Thank you Matt for sharing your story with us.  We are in fact #OneBENZIE proud.  Continued success and happiness for you and your family always.  You know how Mrs. Crossman feels….like, love and share! 



No comments:

Post a Comment